About the Tour
The Tour of Anchorage is a point-to-point cross-country ski marathon race in Anchorage, Alaska. There are 4 race events: a 25k, 40k, and 50k freestyle race and a 25k classic race. In each event, abilities range from top national ski racers to recreational skiers challenging themselves with just making the distance. The 40k and 50k races start on the east side of Anchorage and traverse the city along bike trails. The 25k race starts at mid-town and joins the same course. All the races finish at Kincaid Park on the west side of the city near the coastline of Cook Inlet. Transportation back to the start locations will be provided by shuttle bus.
Read the History of the Tour | Race Times Archive
Race Bib Pick Up
When: Friday, March 6, 2015, 3–7 pm and Saturday March 7, 10 am - 12 pm
Where: Moseley Sports Center on the Alaska Pacific University campus. LOCATION MAP
Everyone should pick up their bib (or have someone get it for you) BEFORE race day.
Start, Wave and Finish Information
* People capable of skiing to Goose Lake in about an hour.
** 40 & 50 k classic skiers go out at the same time; times will be reported as freestyle times.
- 40-50K Start at Service High School - Located at 5577 Abbott Road (Google Map)
- 25K Start at Alaska Pacific University (APU) - 4400 University Dr (Google Map)
- Parking: There will be parking at the Moseley Center, Atwood Building and at the Spine Institute - See Start Area Map (coming soon)
- APU Warmup area, bathrooms: The Moseley Center will be available - See Start Area Map (coming soon)
- How to walk to APU Start: It depends on what parking lot you use but from the Moseley Center it is is just a short walk south on the trail down to the start area at the end of University Lake Drive.
See Start Area Map (coming soon) | Google Map
Start Wave Information
- All races will start in waves, with the faster skiers in the first waves.
- 40K and 50K races: There will be 5 elite waves at 8:30am on the morning of the race. First is 50K Elite Men, second is a small wave of 50K Elite Women, third is 50K Elite Men, with the 4th and 5th waves are 40K Elite Men and Women
- Skiers will be seeded according to previous racing experience.
- SKIERS MUST PUT AN ESTIMATED TIME DOWN ON THEIR ENTRY FORM TO BE SEEDED. IF THERE IS NO ESTIMATED TIME, SKIERS WILL BE SEEDED IN THE LAST WAVES OF EACH RACE.
- Current List of Registrants Wave Assignments (will be posted here)
- Wave Times and Bib Assignments (will be posted here)
- Concerned about your wave placement?
Pace Times by Name (will be posted here)
Past Race Times by Name (will be posted here)
Our goal is to make the Tour of Anchorage safe and satisfying for as many skiers as possible.
Skiers will be seeded in groups (fastest to slowest) using the “pace” system implemented for the 2014 Tour. Pace times from the 2014 Tour (19 km and 26 km) will soon be included and the 2011 races will be dropped. The freestyle and classic ranking lists will be posted. Pace times from the 2015 Anchorage Cup Pia’s (30k classic) and Sven’s (30k free) will also be included in the ranking. As before, time and distance data from non-Anchorage races (25km or longer) may be submitted.
One change to the wave placement for the 2015 Tour is that all women among the fastest 100 skiers (both men and women) will all start in wave #2. Last year, 3 women were in placed wave #1 and 7 women were placed in wave #2 based on the ranking of pace times from both men and women. If this same ranking and sign up occurred in 2015, all 10 women would be placed in wave #2.
The map of the Tour finish will be posted on the website one week prior to the race.
Alaska Pacific University - 25K Start
- Detailed 25K Start Map at Alaska Pacific University (APU) (coming soon) - PDF
Service High School - 40K & 50K Start
- Hillside 40 & 50K with Start Times (coming soon) - PDF
- Kincaid Finish Route (coming soon) - PDF
- Kincaid Stadium Close-up (coming soon) - PDF
View Enlarged Map Below - PDF
Clothing Bag Support
There will be a vehicle at the start of all races to transport a bag with dry clothing to the end of the race at Kincaid Park . We encourage you to bring a backpack or duffle bag with your name on it so it is easier to spot at Kincaid. For the 25K start at APU, the vehicle will be outside the Moseley Sports Center. There will be no way to get your gear back to the van from the start area, so be sure to leave your bag with the van before coming down the hill. Also shuttle buses will be available at Kincaid Park to transport skiers back to the start of each race (APU and Service). These buses will leave at half hour intervals.
Catch a free shuttle bus back from Kincaid Chalet to APU and Service Starts.
- Buses will run every 20 minutes starting at 11:00 am
- Buses to APU will run until 3:30
- Buses to Service will run until 4:00
- Gates to Kincaid open at 8:00 am if you want to drop a car there
Feed Stations(WE ARE UPDATING THIS SECTION WITH THE 2015 INFO - CHECK BACK)
There will be TWO feed stations for 2014 race - the gasline by Hilltop Ski Area, the BLM steel bridge, and the Finish line of course! They will be serving fruit, granola bars, water & warm sports drink (Skratch Lab Apple Cinnamon). Feed stations are staffed by high school sports and community group volunteers. Give them a big thank you as you pass through. Pizza, great harvest and drinks will be in the Moseley Sports Center to great you!
Waxing Available(WE ARE UPDATING THIS SECTION WITH THE 2015 INFO - CHECK BACK)
Waxing space and help available for Tour participants On Saturday, March 1st, the day before!
Talented skiers and coaches from Dimond High School cross country ski team will be available at Kincaid, Saturday March 1st from noon-2pm at the Kincaid Bunker Annex to help Tour participants get their skis ready. Out-of-town skiers looking for a wax bench and iron to borrow? Need just the right kick wax advise or glide wax application? Come support the Dimond Ski Team's fund raiser the day before the Tour. Perfect time to preview the finish, then get your wax on!
Toko will be at the Service start to help with last minute waxing advise.
Merchandise(WE ARE UPDATING THIS SECTION WITH THE 2015 INFO - CHECK BACK)
Merchandise on sale at Bib Pickup Friday & Saturday and on race day at the Kincaid Chalet. They will be available for purchase at bib pick-up and after the race in the Kincaid Chalet. We have lots of colors, styles and sizes to choose from, but keep in mind that it all goes FAST! Come to bib pick-up early on the first day for the best selection.
AWARDS CEREMONY, Monday, March 9, 2015, 5:30 - 7 pm at Bear Tooth Theater Pub
Tickets will be on sale at the Bear Tooth office for $3.
This is a sell-out event. Get your tickets early.
- 1st place 40/50K men & women finishers win round trip ticket plus $1,000
- 2nd place 40/50k men & women finishers win $300
- 3rd place 40/50K men & Women finishers win $200
PLUS this year watch for a special "PREME" prize for first 50K men & women to a designated spot during the race.
Fabulous Bear Tooth cuisine and liquid refreshments will be available for purchase. Remember patrons under 21 are welcome in the theatre balcony.
If you won an age group (top 3) and aren't able to make the Awards Ceremony, stop by the NSAA office to get your medal.