ASD Middle School Racing
The Middle School Nordic skiing practices and races are a program of the Anchorage School District. The program offers after-school lessons and may provide skiing equipment for your child (please check availability of ski equipment with your child’s middle school). This program is also a non-cut program, meaning any child, male or female, may ski and race on their school’s team. ASD contracts with the Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage to organize and officiate the six races that occur during the two-month season. NSAA is a non-profit that maintains cross country trails year round, all trail user families are encouraged to support their trails by becoming members.
For more information on how to get your child involved in their school’s Nordic skiing program, please contact their school.
Parents, want to support your skier and have fun on race day? Come help out and help at the Middle School races! The volunteers work together to make the race a great experience for all racers (first to last), families, and coaches. We need help to set up the race course several hours before the start and more help during the race in the start/finish area and in the woods. We even have inside jobs on race day. No experience needed – we train!
How You Can Help:
- Course Set Up: This is the only job that takes place in advance of races—usually starting about 1 pm the morning of the race. Help mark the course and set up start and finish areas. Don’t need to ski.
- Timing Crew: Feel the excitement of the finish line!! Working in groups of three, you time and record results. We train; no experience needed.
- Course Marshals: Stationed on course with radios, these volunteers get to see the race unfold on the course, and report any problems should they occur. Skis help.
- Course sweeps: You get to ski behind the race, provide encouragement to the slowest, report problems and get to witness the best sportsmanship as the last are cheered home.
- Announcer: Announce race start times and countdown to races.
- Course Take Down: Host Team
Volunteer Coordinators: firstname.lastname@example.org We appreciate your help!
Grooming Application – pdf Fax or Email forms to the NSAA Office by November 15th
*Weather and/or snow conditions may dictate a change in location. Please double check race venue as late as morning of the race.
|January 8, 2019||Practice Begins|
|#1 – Friday, Jan 25:||Classic||Kincaid
|3:30 PM||Begich / Goldenview||Course Map|
|#2 – Wednesday, Jan 30||Classic||change to Kincaid
|3:30 PM||Mirror Lake||New Course Map|
|#3 – Wednesday, Feb 6||Mixed Relays||Kincaid
|3:30 PM||Mears / Girdwood||New course map|
|#4 – Wednesday, Feb 13||Skate||Service
|3:30 PM||Hanshew / Winterberry||Course Map|
|#5 – Tuesday, Feb 19||Skate||Chugiak HS
|3:30 PM||Gruening/ Central||New course map|
|#6 – Wednesday Feb 27||Freestyle Championships||Kincaid
|3:30 PM||Romig / Wendler / Clark||Course Map|
NO DOGS PLEASE: No dogs are allowed in the stadium or ski trails. Thank you.
|Race #1, January 25
||Race #2, January 30
||Race #3, February 6
||Race #4, February 13
|Race #5, February 19
||Race #6, February 27
Coordinating Assistant Principal:
Guening Middle School
Kelly Parsons, 907-742-3600
NSAA Middle School Representative:
Diane Moxness – 907-242-5936 or email@example.com
Bob Stehn – firstname.lastname@example.org
Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage 907-276-7609