Biathlon Scholarship Rifles
Each spring and as applications are received, the NSAA Biathlon Committee awards several club rifles, including Menaker and Poss memorial rifles, to promising Alaskan biathletes for use in their training over the following racing season. Scholarship rifles are returned to the club each spring for inspection. Athletes may reapply for their rifles after the annual inspection and maintenance.
- Applications are accepted from athletes ages 12 and above.
- Frequent participation (a minimum of 30 openings/events) in biathlon over the previous 12 months. The range log is used to determine participation.
- Rifles are awarded only to athletes that have shown they are responsible and dedicated to the sport.
- Only right-handed rifles are available for scholarship due to the limited number of left-handed rifles in inventory.
- Awardees are responsible for rifle maintenance and any loss or damage to rifle while in their possession.
- Awards may be limited by rifle availability.
- Fill out the online application: NSAA Online Rifle Scholarship Application
- In your response, describe your commitment to frequent biathlon training sessions, competing in most local biathlon races, and participating in clinics and other sport-specific activities.
- In your response, describe your cross-country skiing and biathlon training in the past 12 months and your race experience in these two sports.
- In your response, describe why you think you should be chosen to receive a rifle.
- If you are re-applying, indicate specifically how much use you have made of the rifle in the past year.
APPLICATIONS DUE: MAY 10th
Late applications submitted will be processed if rifles are still available for scholarship.
Who are the memorial scholarships named for?
Jay Poss was an accomplished Alaskan biathlete on the U.S. National Biathlon Team who perished in an avalanche while back-country skiing. To honor his memory, Jay’s parents have donated his rifle for loan to a biathlete who aspires to compete at the highest level possible and possesses the qualities of determination, athletic ability, good sportsmanship, and dedication to the sport of biathlon possessed by Jay.
Margaux Menaker was an enthusiastic biathlete whose potential in this sport, and life, was cut short by an unfortunate accident. In memory of her competitive spirit, the Menaker family donated several high quality biathlon rifles for loan to junior biathletes who exemplify the qualities of hard work, athletic ability, good sportsmanship, and academic excellence possessed by Margaux.
For more information: Email NSAAbiathlon.email@example.com
Additional Scholarship Rifle Available: ABA Scholarship Rifle