NSAA Backcountry Tours
Manitoba Trip has been canceled for 2/14/2020
To support the tours, buy a custom NSAA Jytte beanie, 100% merino wool and made in the USA, for $40. Check out our beanie with NEW colors this season! Hats are available at all backcountry tours, NSAA office, Season Kickoff, and online HERE
Before You Join a NSAA Free Backcountry Tour…
Become a NSAA Member
Your donation helps support these FREE backcountry ski tours! Please note: that you MUST be a current NSAA member to join a tour. Unsure about your membership status? Check HERE
Pick a Tour
Find a tour that interests you and sign up by either calling or emailing the tour leader. Easy as 1-2. See schedule below.
Fill out the Release Form
Bring your completed release form on the tour and give it to your leader before you start! This is required.
Review Gear List
Ski Tour Classifications
- Easy I: 1 to 3 miles round trip on generally flat terrain. Suitable for beginners
- Easy II: 3 to 6 miles round trip and up to 600 ft. elevation gain
- Easy III: 6 to 8 miles round trip or 600 ft. to 800 ft. elevation gain
- Moderate I: 800 ft. to 1100 ft. elevation gain
- Moderate II: 1100 ft. to 1500 ft. elevation gain
- Moderate III: 1500 ft. to 1800 ft. elevation gain
- Advanced I: 1800 ft. to 2500 ft. elevation gain
- Advanced II: Over 2500 ft. elevation gain
Advanced ski tours are generally on more difficult terrain and participants have developed efficiency and acquired skills for their safe backcountry ski travels. To go on an Advanced ski trip, you must be able to break trail for a period of time and must have excellent nordic/downhill skiing ability. In addition, you should carry a shovel, probe and avalanche beacon and know how to use them, plus any extra items required by the trip leader.
Feel free to contact your trip leader if you have any questions. Asking questions can clear up confusion and assist you in your preparations for your ski trip.
Turnagain Pass temps and snow depths
Independence Mine temps and snow depths
Hatcher Pass Avalanche Center
Chugach National Forest Service Avalanche Center
Backcountry Ski Tours Leader, Mary Vavrik
Phone: 907-306-7686, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nordic Ski Patrol contact: Mary Vavrik email@example.com, 907-306-7686