ASD Middle School Racing
The Middle School Nordic skiing practices and races are a program of the Anchorage School District. The program offers after-school lessons and may provide skiing equipment for your child (please check availability of ski equipment with your child’s middle school). This program is also a non-cut program, meaning any child, male or female, may ski and race on their school’s team. ASD contracts with the Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage to organize and officiate the six races that occur during the two-month season.
For more information on how to get your child involved in their school’s Nordic skiing program, please contact their school.
Anchorage School District’s Middle School Nordic Skiing page: www.asdk12.org/activities/ms/skiing
Give your kid a break and have more fun and stay warmer on race day. Join the Green Grunts and spend your day supporting the racers. The “Grunts” meet for breakfast and work together to make the race a great experience for all racers (first to last), families, and coaches. There is a lot of work to do on the snow and in the woods. We even have inside jobs before race day. And the skier in your family may be glad you have something better to do than hover over them as they try to focus for their race.
How You Can Help:
- Course Set Up: This is the only job that takes place in advance of races—usually starting about 1 pm the morning of the race. Help mark the course and set up start and finish areas. Don’t need to ski.
- Timing Crew: Feel the excitement of the finish line!! Working in groups of three, you time and record results. We train; no experience needed.
- Course Marshals: Stationed on course with radios, these volunteers get to see the race unfold on the course, and report any problems should they occur. Skis help.
- Course sweeps: You get to ski behind the race, provide encouragement to the slowest, report problems and get to witness the best sportsmanship as the last are cheered home.
- Announcer: Announce race start times and countdown to races.
- Course Take Down: Host Team
Volunteer Coordinators: firstname.lastname@example.org We appreciate your help!
Grooming Application – pdf Fax or Email forms to the NSAA Office by November 15th
|January 10, 2017||Practice Begins|
|#1 – Thursday Jan 26: Cancelled||Classic||Kincaid
|3:30 PM||Begich / Goldenview||Course Map|
|#2 – Tuesday Jan 31||Classic||Kincaid (Mirror Lake if acceptable snow)
|3:30 PM||Mirror Lake||Course Map|
|#3 – Thursday Feb 2||Mixed Relays||Kincaid
|3:30 PM||Mears / Winterberry||Course Map|
|#4 – Wednesday Feb 8||Skate||Kincaid (Service HS if acceptable snow)
|3:30 PM||Hanshew / Girdwood||Course Map|
|#5 – Wednesday Feb 15||Skate||Kincaid (Bartlett HS if acceptable snow)
|3:30 PM||Romig / Wendler||Course Map|
|#6 – Wednesday March 1||Freestyle Championships||Kincaid
|3:30 PM||Central / Gruening||Course Map|
NO DOGS PLEASE: No dogs are allowed in the stadium or ski trails. Please take fido for a walk before and/or after the meet on the multi-use, dog-friendly trails at Kincaid, but keep them in the car and off the ski area. Thank you.
|Race #1, January 26
||Race #2, January 31
||Race #3, February 2
||Race #4, February 8
|Race #5, February 15
||Race #6, March 1
Coordinating Assistant Principal:
Guening Middle School
Kelly Parsons, 907-742-3600
Middle School Representative:
Diane Moxness – email@example.com
Bob Stein – firstname.lastname@example.org
Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage