Tour of Anchorage
March 8, 2020
The Tour of Anchorage is one of the few point-to-point cross-country ski marathons in North America. There are 4 race events: 25k freestyle, 25k classic, 40k freestyle, and 50k freestyle. In each event, participants range from elite ski racers to recreational skiers challenging themselves to finish. The 40k and 50k races start on the east side of Anchorage and traverse the city along ski and multi-use trails. The 25k race starts at mid-town and joins the same course. All races finish at Kincaid Park on the western most side of the city near the coastline of Cook Inlet. Transportation back to start locations will be provided by shuttle bus.
Come for the race and stay for the party. Enjoy the scenic beer garden at the finish line!
Register Online starting Oct. 1, 2019.
*Note: March 4, 2020 is the last day to register for seeded wave placement.
NOTE ABOUT AGE ON APPLICATION: According to convention, the age groupings for skiing are listed as a skier’s age as of December 31 in that ski season. So, if a skier has a birthday on January 11, 2020 and turns 56, his age for the 2020 race is 55. This is done so skiers are a constant age throughout the ski season. Also, you must be 18 years old by 12/31/19 to race the 50k.
Finish any of the ski races AND either of the bike races back-to-back and receive a special award — plus a reduced entry fee!
Doublers will pay full price for the first race and just $50 for the second. Select the Tour Double option at online registration. If you decide to double after having signed up for just one event, simply email the NSAA at email@example.com to add the second event.
Before signing up, Doublers should make sure they are physically capable of finishing both events and have enough time (and their own transportation) to get from Kincaid back to Service HS for their bike start.
|Adult Pricing:||NSAA Member||Non-Member|
|By 1/12/2020 @11:59pm||$75||$85|
|By 2/26/2020 @10pm||$85||$95|
At Bib Pickup @ APU
Fri, March 6, 2020 from 3-7pm
Sat, March 7, 2020 from 10am-12pm
|Youth Pricing: 0-12 years old||$35||$35|
|Tour Double: Ski and Bike||First Race: full price as shown above||Second Race: $50|
No refunds will be given for any reason, including race cancellation. All of the funds from the race go to NSAA for all of their community work, including trail work, grooming, and a variety of other activities that benefit trail users and skiers. Putting on the race involves many costs, many of which are not recovered if the race is canceled. Refunding entry fees is not done by any other American Ski Marathon race including those in Alaska.
Race Bib Pick Up
When: Friday, March 6, 2020, 3–7 pm and Saturday, March 7, 2020, 10 am – 12 pm
Where: APU Moseley Center
Everyone should pick up their bib (or have someone get it for you) BEFORE race day.
If that is not possible, bibs can be picked up on race day beginning at 8 a.m. at Service High School for the 50K/40K, and beginning at 9:30 a.m. at APU Moseley Center for the 25K.
Start, Wave and Finish Information
Start waves and bib numbers:
- 40k & 50k Start at Service High School – 5577 Abbott Road
- Service Parking: There will be parking at the High School
- Service Warmup area, bathrooms: Porta-pottys and the Small Gym will be available
- The Start will be in the Service field by the Small Gym
- 25k Start at Alaska Pacific University (APU) – 4400 University Drive
- APU Parking: There will be parking at the Atwood Building and the Spine Institute
- APU Warmup area, bathrooms: The Moseley Center will be available
- How to walk to APU Start: It depends on what parking lot you use but from the Moseley Center it is is 10 minute walk over the hill down to the start area at the northeast end of University Lake. Google Map
- Finish at Kincaid Park Google Map
Start Wave Information
- All pace data 2016-2019 races by Name –alphabetic ALL pace data 2016-19 (2-26-19)
- List of best pace times by Name – best pace by name 2016-19 (2-26-19)
- Rank Order of Freestyle pace times – rank order freestyle PACE 2016-19 (2-26-19)
- Rank Order of Classic pace times – rank order classic PACE 2016-19 (2-26-19)
- Current List of Registrants –
- Wave and Bib Assignments –
The 2020 Tour of Anchorage race start waves are expected to be:
|Race||Start Waves||Start Times||Start Location|
|50k Freestyle||Waves 1 to 7||9:30 to 9:42 am||Service High School|
|40k Freestyle||Waves 8 to 13||10:30 to 10:40 am||Service High School|
|25k Classic||Waves 14 to 17||11:00 to 11:06 am||Alaska Pacific University|
|25k Freestyle||Waves 18 to 25||12:00 to 12:14 pm||Alaska Pacific University|
Our goal is to make the Tour of Anchorage safe and satisfying for as many skiers as possible.
Read the details about seeding racers here: Seeding Racers.
Note: Classic Tracks will be set, except in a few short sections, for the entire 50-kilometer course.
Race Officials reserve the right to alter the course based on safety concerns or weather conditions.
25K Start – Alaska Pacific University (APU)
- APU Detail Start Area – PDF
40K & 50K Start – Service High School
- Service High Start Area – PDF
Course Sections – Detailed
- Service High to Campbell Airstrip (50k/40k) – PDF
- Campbell Airstrip to APU (50k/40k) – PDF
- APU Start to Westchester – PDF
- Westchester (50k/40k/25k) – PDF
- Pt. Woronzof (50k/40k/25k) – PDF
- Pt Woronzof to Kincaid Finish (50k/40k/25k) – PDF
- 25k, 40k & 50k – Kincaid Chalet Finish Details – PDF
Need fast skis for the Tour but don’t have the time or energy to wax them yourself?
Don’t fret — the Dimond High School Nordic Ski Team will be waxing (plan to drop off skis) in the Kincaid Bunker on Saturday March 7 from 11am-1pm. There is no set fee. Skiers are asked to contribute a donation with proceeds benefiting the Dimond ski program.
Clothing Bag Support
There will be a vehicle at the start of all races to transport a bag with dry clothing to the end of the race at Kincaid Park. We encourage you to bring a backpack or duffle bag with your name on it so it is easier to spot at Kincaid. For the 25K start at APU, the vehicle will be outside the Moseley Sports Center. There will be no way to get your gear back to the van from the start area, so be sure to leave your bag with the van before coming down the hill. Also shuttle buses will be available at Kincaid Park to transport skiers back to the start of each race (APU Mosely and Service HS). These buses will leave at 20 minute intervals.
Catch a free shuttle bus with Premier Alaska Tours back from Kincaid Chalet to APU Moseley and Service HS.
- Buses will run every 30 minutes starting at 1:00 pm
- Buses to APU will run until 5:00 pm
- Buses to Service will run until 5:00 pm
- The Kincaid Gate will be open at 9:00 am
There will be seven feed stations for 2019 race:
- Hillside/Double Bubble (11.1K into the 50k race)
- Campbell Airstrip (18.5K)
- Ambassador Drive (22.7K)
- Lake Otis (27.5K)
- Westchester Lagoon (32.4K)
- Postmark Drive (37.3K)
- Clitheroe Center (42.3K)
They will be serving fruit and water & warm sports drink (Skratch Lab Orange). Feed stations are staffed by high school sports and community group volunteers. Give them a big thank you as you pass through. Food and drinks will be in the Kincaid Chalet to greet you!
Thank you to these feed station hosts and supporters:
- The Boy Scouts- Troop 214
- The Boy Scouts- Troop 190
- Bartlett Ski Team
- Chugiak Ski Team
- Dimond Ski Team
- Eagle River Ski Team
- East Ski Team
- Service Seminar
- South Ski Team
- West Ski Team
Merchandise on sale at Bib Pickup Friday & Saturday and on race day at the Kincaid Chalet. We have lots of colors, styles and sizes to choose from, but keep in mind that it all goes FAST! Come to bib pick-up early on the first day for the best selection.
Awards & Post Race Party
All awards can be picked up at the NSAA Office. The office hours are M-F 10am-5pm, and they’re located at 203 W 15th Ave #204, Anchorage, AK 99501
1st Place 50k men & women finishers $1,000 + round trip ticket with Alaska Airlines
2nd Place 50k men & women finishers $400
3rd Place 50k men & women finishers $200
Note: Cash awards can only be given in the event of the full 50k race.
Interested in becoming a sponsor?
2019 Tour of Anchorage Sponsorship Packet -pdf
Thank you to our generous 2019 Sponsors!
Thank you to Anchorage Nordic Ski Patrol for support on the trail.
Questions or comments about the Tour of Anchorage?
Registration: 907-276-7609 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Race & Course: 907-276-7609 or email@example.com
Race Director: Matias Saari firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration questions & changes: Bob Stehn email@example.com